Located in the beautiful Mendips, Blagdon has a thriving, friendly population of about 1200 with a mix of traditional local families and new comers from diverse backgrounds. There is a mix in the village of single people, families and couples, with ages ranging from young children to those of retirement age.
Local facilities include Blagdon Stores (Post Office Stores), butchers, a health and beauty centre, pubs, a fire station, and regular visits from the mobile library. There are doctors’ surgeries at nearby Churchill and West Harptree.
There are two churches in Blagdon – St Andrew’s Church (Church of England), and the Baptist Chapel. All churches have loyal congregations but nevertheless participate in ecumenical services from time to time. These include Remembrance Sunday, United Christmas Carol Service and Youth Week Service, and Woman’s World Day of Prayer. There are some Roman Catholics in the community who attend churches at West Harptree or Cheddar and Methodists who attend Churchill.
In addition to its Parish Council, Blagdon has an active public transport lobby group. It also has a community mini-bus, shared by all community groups.
Blagdon is a resourceful, friendly and caring community. A helpline service offers limited transport and other assistance and advice to meet local need. Village life is reflected monthly in our Parish Magazine.