The school in Blagdon was founded over 300 years ago, making it one of the oldest in the county. In 1687 Thomas Baynard, the Lord of the Manor of Blagdon, set up a fund to pay for a schoolmaster “to instruct eight poor children of the Parish in reading ’till they are able readily to read the Holy Scripture in their mother tongue, and no longer”.
The Baynard Trust still exists today, and gives a generous grant each year to Blagdon School. For example, in the school year 2011-2012, the trust paid for:-
- Shakespeare Festival ‘Macbeth’ workshop, performance and transport
- Tudor music and instrument workshop
- an in-school performance of The Nativity by Bristol Old Vic Theatre School
- four-person listening station; subscription to our electronic library system
- ‘SymWrite’ electronic communication tool
- set of lovely new RE books
- subscription to the ‘Aquila’ children’s magazine for primary schools
- Habitat and minibeast workshops …..and more!
The generous support of the Baynard Trustees helps to provide a rich and varied education for the pupils of Blagdon Primary School.